Weight Loss Treatments
Lose and keep the weight off with bariatric surgery
If you have tried to lose weight through diet and exercise but just couldn’t do it, bariatric surgery may be a good option for you. Below you’ll find some factors indicating you could be a good candidate for bariatriac surgery:
- You are between 13 and 75 years old.
- You are severely obese (100 pounds or more overweight, with a BMI of 40 or more) OR obese with associated complications (a BMI of 35 or more, with a condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease).
- You have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight through a structured, medical weight ---loss program that included diet, exercise and lifestyle changes.
- You have been experiencing personal or occupational problems due to obesity.
- You have undergone a psychological evaluation and counseling to determine that you are emotionally healthy enough to understand the ramifications of your decision.
- You are willing and able to commit to long-term medical follow-up, as well as rigorous, lifelong changes in eating, exercise and lifestyle habits to meet and maintain your weight loss and health goals.
For more resources and information on bariatric surgery and obesity, visit the Health Library